Friday 24 February 2012

Funerals - Happy or Sad?

Today, I write this in a fairly raw and emotional state.
My family and I have just got back home after attending my Grandfathers funeral.
They to me, are something I have always tried to avoid, no matter who the person was, and how I knew them, I tried to always avoid a funeral.

I avoided them for the one reason, that I see myself as a fairly Alpha male, one not to show emotion other than anger or just to show I am just content. Today for me was not only a sad day, but very liberating!

It has now been about a week and a half since my grandfather suddenly passed away, and after just over a week, we had nearly all gotten back to our regular working and happy selves, to have a day of depression and rememberance dawn upon us. As we all walked into the chapel, we all were silent, walking with our heads down looking no further than where our feet were leading us.
Right up untill the moment we heared the beloved childrens song Bob the builder being played, where as soon as we all clocked it, had a quick chuckle then back to the mourning we were there for.


The Vicor started to talk and spoke about my grandfather but, it was strange, he spoke of him as he knew him, and spoke of him with serenity and cheer. I first thought how could he do this, how could he see the passing of my grandfather to be a time of cheer. My sister then went up to read a poem, and the poem I think was called "He lived" and in it were a few lines that stuck with me, and it may not have cheered me up straight away, but they did deffinately put my mind at ease and comfort me. One line i remember well went something like "will you be sad that I have died, or happy that I lived" which settled me to know that, even though he is now gone, not to sit and dwell on what I have lost, but to sit back and let us all remember fond and happy memories we all had with each other and him.
So when the service was over, we all headed back to the pub, and not mourned the death of a loved one, but sat back and drank my grandfathers favourite drink, with a toast to his name and just reminisced over the memories we had of him, mostly laughing at him not with him, which settled us all, and after the night was done, even my grandmother walked away with nearly a smile on her face to remember what a joy her late husband was to be with.


So what I ask to you is, do you attend funerals, and how you act at one, do you sit in the corner and mourn the death of a family member or friend, or do you start to mingle and talk and meet new friends reminiscing and talking about the wonderful life of a dear friend? Leave your thoughts and comments below...

2 comments:

  1. I saw ur blog on google blog search an decided to take a peak. Im thinking of starting a blog an just curious. Am I the "first comment"? As for funerals, I have been to soooo many I feel like a pro @ it. Except when it is someone very close. I end up feeling so sorry for the family left bhind. I ALWAYS cry! So sorta embarressing an try to escape as quick as poss.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are the dirst comment, i dont do an awful lot to get the word out about my blog so not many views and visitors, and its a fairly new blog, but when its bigger and has more content i will hopefully start getting the word out a bit more and more visitors, and as for funerals, well i know how you feel about feeling embarraced, but for once i didnt feel ashamed to be seen crying, which is the first time in my life, i was actually proud to show my affection and emotion

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, hope to see you again soon.